Concealed Handgun Permits

First-time concealed handgun permit applicants that reside in Arlington County or City of Falls Church must apply in-person Monday – Friday 8am to 4pm in the Civil Division of the Circuit Court Clerk’s office, 1425 N. Courthouse Rd., Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201. Applicants must present government issued photo ID, proof of competency, and if applicant has not resided at the same address for the past five years they will need to provide a list of prior addresses for past five years. $50.00 filing fee can be paid in cash, credit (VISA, MC or Discover with 4% credit card fee) check or money order payable to “Clerk of the Court”.

Renewal applications can be filed in-person in the Civil Division, or by mail to: Clerk of Circuit Court, 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201. Renewal applications(PDF, 364KB) must include a completed application, copy of any prior permit issued by a Virginia court, $50.00 renewal fee, and a copy of government issued photo ID.

Application Instructions and Information

Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits (CHP) are issued by the Circuit Court of the Virginia county or city where the applicant resides.

Concealed Handgun Permit applications must be on the Virginia State Police’s CHP Application Form, SP-248, found on the Virginia State Police website.

  • All applicants must present a valid form of government-issued photo identification. Mailed in renewal applications must include a photocopy of a valid government-issued photo ID.
  • Further, if you currently possess a Virginia CHP, and have changed your residence, please submit the new Change of Address Form SP-248A to the Clerk’s office that issued your CHP along with your valid permit and $10.00. Requests for change of address on a current CHP issued by Arlington County can be mailed to: 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington, VA, 22201. If you now reside in Arlington County, and are within six months of expiration of a current Virginia CHP, you can apply for a renewal at the Arlington Circuit Court by mail or in-person.   
  • All changes are made pursuant to Code of Virginia §§18.2-308.02,.06,.10,.11

To obtain a concealed handgun permit from the Arlington Circuit Court, you must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church; or a member of the U.S. military domiciled in Arlington County or City of Falls Church
  • Present one valid form of photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth, by the U.S. Department of Defense, or U.S. State Department (passport).
  • Pay $50 fee by cash, credit card, check, or money order, payable to the Clerk of the Court
  • Provide evidence of competence with a handgun in-person (i.e., proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers). 

Effective January 1, 2021, online course certificates will no longer qualify for showing proof of competence for the purposes of obtaining a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit. Further information as to proof of competence can be found on the Virginia State Police website.

Request for Duplicate Permit:

For more information on applying for a concealed handgun permit, please call the Clerk’s office at 703-228-7010. Please note, due to confidentiality, the Clerk’s office does not provide information on pending applications over the phone or by e-mail.