The Department of Human Services and County Board have established a new advisory group for the purpose of providing input to the Director of the Arlington County Department of Human Services on policy issues related to public assistance and social services programs and to serve as a resource for the County Board on behalf of residents of Arlington County in identifying and addressing social services needs throughout the community.
The SSAB will:
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Director of the Department of Human Services
- Take an active interest in all matters affecting the social services and public assistance benefits needed by the people served by Arlington County Government
- Monitor the formulation and implementation of public assistance benefits and social services programs
- Meet with the Director, or their designee (a member of the DHS Senior Leadership Team) at least six times a year for the purpose of making recommendations on policy matters
- Collaborate with the Director to promote stakeholder engagement and input to promote equity-informed planning and service delivery
- Submit an annual report to the County Board, prior to the budget presentation of the Department of Human Services, concerning the administration of the public assistance and social services programs
- Submit to the County Board, from time to time, other reports the SSAB deems appropriate.
The ideas, decisions, and actions of the SSAB will impact the lives of children, families, and vulnerable members of the Arlington community. Therefore, the business of the SSAB will be handled with the utmost respect, seriousness, and commitment.