Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)
The Arlington County Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) has powers, duties, and procedures as set forth in broad terms in the Code of Virginia and in the Arlington County Zoning Ordinance, including:
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Use Permits for modifications to the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating the placement of buildings and structures on single-family residential lots
- Hearing and deciding upon applications for Variances for relief from the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance regulating placement, bulk, height, and coverage of buildings and structures
- Hearing and deciding on applications to allow construction on lots which do not conform to the minimum required dimensional standards of the Zoning Ordinance
- Hearing and deciding appeals of administrative decisions of the Zoning Administrator made pursuant to the Zoning Ordinance
Information about applications, submission requirements, and review processes are available:
It is recommended to request a pre-application meeting with the BZA Coordinator ahead of submitting your application to discuss the review process and specifics to your case.
Public Hearings and Filing Dates
The BZA holds monthly public hearings to perform its appointed duties and conduct any other business as necessary. Any matter before the BZA for review must be duly advertised in accordance with the Code of Virginia. All application materials must be accepted as complete, with all associated fees paid, prior to the application being placed on the agenda for a particular BZA hearing. Please be advised that the typical timeframe between application submission and the BZA hearing is at least two (2) months. Any incomplete applications (including those with an outstanding fee) will be processed for the next available BZA hearing.
Please note that while applications can be updated after they are accepted as complete, additional materials must be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to the BZA hearing at which the case is scheduled to be heard in order to be considered in the staff report and recommendation prepared by Zoning Division staff for the BZA.
Staff highly recommends that all applicants (especially those that have questions about their application, and/or those that have not previously submitted a BZA application) contact the BZA Coordinator to set up a pre-application meeting to discuss their request prior to submitting their application.
2024 Hearing Dates
Links to available application materials for individual cases are available through the meeting agenda.
January 24, 2024 (BZA Appeals Hearing).
January 31,2024 (BZA Appeals Hearing).
February 21, 2024
February 22, 2024 (BZA Appeals Hearing)
March 13, 2024
March 20, 2024 (BZA work session for administrative matters; no requests for BZA use permits, variances, and/or appeals to be heard on this date).
April 17, 2024
May 15, 2024
June 12, 2024
July 17, 2024
September 18, 2024
October 16, 2024
November 13, 2024
December 18, 2024
*BZA has also adopted carryover dates.
Past Meeting Minutes, Audio & Materials
How to View and Participate in a Hybrid BZA Hearing
Board of Zoning Appeals hearings are hybrid meetings where members of the public may attend in-person or via electronic communications using Microsoft Teams.
Commission members, staff, and applicants will conduct the hearings in a hybrid environment at the Bozman Government Center, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Room 307, County Board Room.
- Board members, staff, applicants, and public testimony will be hosted by teleconference/ videoconference via Microsoft Teams. Participants will receive an email with further instruction.
- A recording of the meeting will be posted to the County website within two business days after the meeting.
The public can participate by sharing live verbal testimony or written comments in advance:
- Sign-up online to speak during the public hearing by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing.
- In-person registration will be available.
- Registered speakers will receive an email with further instruction.
- Speakers will join the meeting via Microsoft Teams (accessible through a web browser or the free app) or via a phone line to provide their comments.
- To register by phone, contact the Board of Zoning Appeals Coordinator at 703-228-3562 by 12:00 p.m. the day of the hearing.
- Submit written comments online to the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). Comments received by 12:00 p.m. on the day of the hearing will be provided to the BZA in advance of the public hearing by the BZA Coordinator.
To request translation services or reasonable accommodations, or for other questions, contact the BZA Coordinator, Blake Bowen: BBowen@arlingtonva.us; 703-228-0798.
The BZA is a quasi-judicial body consisting of 5 members appointed by the Circuit Court for staggered terms of 5 years. All members of the BZA are private citizens and must be residents of Arlington County. Board members are not County employees and are not available to discuss matters that come before them with the public outside of their regularly scheduled BZA meetings.
|Term End Date
|March 7, 2028
|March 7, 2024
|March 7, 2025
|March 7, 2026
| Richard Kaplan, Chair
| March 7, 2027