For Immediate Release
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Arlington County Board Approves First LEED Gold Residential Building
Apartments, ground floor retail and office space planned for 14th Street North
ARLINGTON, Va. – The County Board today approved a plan for the first LEED Gold residential building in Arlington, a 16-story structure on 14th St. North that will combine 254 rental units with ground floor retail and office space.
The building will replace the seven-story Executive Building and adjoining two-level parking garage at 2009 14th St. North, between North Troy and North Taft streets. A key feature will be a 26,145-foot ground floor outdoor public/private plaza, built above a three-level parking structure, with a scenic overlook offering views of national monuments in Washington, D.C.
“In this tough economic environment, it is encouraging to see that people are still willing to build – and to build smart,” said Board Chairman Barbara Favola. “This building has it all – high-quality housing, ground-floor retail and office space and a public plaza that will offer great views of the national monuments. We get all this in a building that is built to a Gold LEED standard. This is the sort of project we want to see more of in Arlington.”
Density bonus granted for sustainable design
The applicants earned a density bonus by agreeing to seek a Gold LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating from the U.S. Green Building Council. The USGBC, a non-profit organization, evaluates buildings on a wide range of design and performance factors under its internationally recognized LEED program. Gold is the second-highest level attainable on USGBC’s five-tier LEED scale.
Project at a Glance
2009 N. 14th Street, LLC
- 2009 N. 14th St. LLC
- Contact: Jonathan Kinney, agent/attorney Tel: 703-525-4000
- Lessard Urban, Inc.
- Contact: Enrico Villaroman
Type of Project
- Mixed-use: housing, office and retail
- Housing space: 240,530 sq. ft., 254 rental units
- Office space: 8,127 sq. ft.
- Retail space: 4,354 sq. ft.
- Office\retail space: 2,527
- 16 stories, 180 feet in height, 407.22-foot maximum elevation
- 273 parking spaces
Location: 2009 N. 14th St.
A number of amenities are planned for the project, including:
- The proposed landscaped plaza will replace an existing 2-story parking deck. The plaza will provide access from the proposed building, surrounding streets and the adjacent SRA plaza.
- The plaza’s promenade access from N. 14th and N. Troy Street will include an outdoor seating area for ground floor café/restaurant use.
- The proposed building will use storm water retention for irrigation, use low flow plumbing fixtures, include a recycling room, bike racks, and shower facilities for its tenants, and obtain 35% of its power from a green source grid.
- LEED Gold Building
- $75,000 public art contribution
- Affordable housing contribution
- Provision of ½ acre public/private plaza
- Scenic overlook for public views of D.C. monuments
- Pedestrian access through site
- Retail and offices lining 14th St. N and N. Taft St.
- Sidewalk, curb and gutter improvements
- Streetscape improvements
- Undergrounding of public utilities
- Certified LEED Gold Building
- $75,000 Public Art Contribution
- $57,400 Utility Fund Contribution
- Affordable Housing Contribution
- Provision of ½ acre public/private plaza and creation of scenic overlook for public views of D.C. monuments. Also, preservation of ‘view corridor’ from Justice Center plaza towards D. C. monuments.
- Pedestrian access through the site.
- Provision of bicycles/tri-cycles and Smart Cars for residents.
- Streetscape improvements, including new sidewalks, curb, and gutters; and the partial removal of an existing off-site (SRA property) planter wall/sidewalk obstruction located along the east side of N. Troy Street, near the northwest corner of the subject site.
- Undergrounding of public utilities.
- Transportation Demand Management Plan, including:
- Agreement to contribute to the Arlington County Commuter Services (ACCS) to sustain direct and indirect on-site and off-site services in support of TMP activities annual contributions of $8,369.00 per year for thirty (30) years.
- On-site business center
- Provision of bicycle parking/storage facilities.
- Metro fare media and cards, for free, one time, to each residential, office, and retail lessee or purchaser.
Arlington, Va., is a world-class residential, business and tourist location that was originally part of the "10 miles square" parcel of land surveyed in 1791 to be the Nation's Capital. It is the geographically smallest self-governing county in the United States, occupying slightly less than 26 square miles. Arlington maintains a rich variety of stable neighborhoods, quality schools and enlightened land use, and received the Environmental Protection Agency's highest award for "Smart Growth" in 2002. Home to some of the most influential organizations in the world - including the Pentagon - Arlington stands out as one of America's preeminent places to live, visit and do business.