TRAFFIC ALERT: Road Closures for Weekend of November 19-20, 2022
Published on November 15, 2022
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Arlington County Police Department will conduct road closures to accommodate two upcoming events taking place during the weekend of Saturday, November 19 – Sunday, November 20, 2022.
2022 Jennifer Bush-Lawson 5k
The 8th annual Jennifer Bush-Lawson Memorial 5k & Family Fun Day will take place in the Yorktown neighborhood on Saturday, November 19, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The following roadways will be closed from approximately 8:45 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. to accommodate the event:
- Yorktown Boulevard, from Little Falls Road / N. Greenbrier Street to N. Kensington Street
- Little Falls Road, from N. Edison Street to Yorktown Boulevard and from Yorktown Boulevard to N. Ohio Street
- N. Lexington Street, from Yorktown Boulevard to 27th Street N.
- 28th Street N., from the dead end to N. Lexington Street
- 27th Road N., from the dead end to N. Lexington Street
- 27th Street N., from N. Lexington Street to N. Ohio Street
- John Marshal Drive at 27th Street N.
- N. Ohio Street, from 27th Street N. to Little Falls Road
When safe to do so, residents of the affected areas will be escorted through the road closures, as necessary, to minimize the impact on the community. All roadways are expected to reopen by 10:30 a.m. Community members are asked to park vehicles in driveways to reduce the congestion on the course and to allow for standard traffic conditions to return as quickly as possible.
2022 Girls on the Run 5k Race
The 2022 Girls on the Run 5k Race will take place in the Ballston-Virginia Square neighborhood on Sunday, November 20, and will begin at 8:30 a.m. The following roadways will be closed in order to accommodate the event:
From approximately 3:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.:
- N. Taylor Street will be closed in both directions from Wilson Boulevard to Fairfax Drive
From approximately 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.:
- Fairfax Drive, from N. Utah Street to Kirkwood Road
- 10th Street N., from Fairfax Drive to Washington Boulevard
- N. Irving Street, from 10th Street N. to 7th Street N.
- 9th Street N., from N. Irving Street to N. Garfield Street
- 7th Street N., from N Irving Street to Washington Boulevard
- N. Highland Street, from 7th Street N. to 10th Street N.
- N. Garfield Street, from 10th Street N. to 7th Street N.
- Southbound Kirkwood Road, between Washington Boulevard and Fairfax Drive
- Washington Boulevard (eastbound lanes only), from 10th Street N. to Pershing Drive
- Wilson Boulevard will be closed in both directions at 10th Street N. Westbound traffic will be diverted onto Fairfax Drive, while eastbound traffic will be turned south prior to Jackson Street, where drivers can access Pershing Drive and maneuver around the racecourse.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Bus Routes will be detoured but remain operational during the event.
The public should expect to see an increased police presence in the area, and motorists are urged to follow law enforcement direction, be mindful of closures, and remain alert for increased pedestrian traffic. Other roads not mentioned may be closed at law enforcement discretion and in the interest of public safety.
In addition, area street parking may be restricted. Motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs and illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, please call the Emergency Communications Center at 703-558-2222.