TRAFFIC ALERT: 47th Annual Marine Corps Marathon
Published on October 17, 2022
UPDATE (October 26, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.): This press release has been updated to include information about the MCM Kids Run taking place on Saturday, October 29, 2022.
ARLINGTON, Va. - The 47th annual Marine Corps Marathon (MCM), the MCM 50K, and the MCM 10K will take place on Sunday, October 30, 2022. The 50k will begin at 7:15 a.m., followed by the wheelchair/hand cycle division at 7:50 a.m., and the Marathon at 7:55 a.m., all on Route 110 in Arlington County, Virginia. The Arlington County Police Department, Virginia State Police, United States Park Police, and Pentagon Force Protection Agency will close numerous roadways in Arlington in support of these events. Additionally, the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department and United States Park Police will close roadways in Washington, D.C., in support of race operations.
The following road closures will take place in Arlington County on race day:
From approximately 3:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Fort Myer Drive, from 19th Street N. to N. Meade Street
- N. Lynn Street, from 19th Street N. to N. Meade Street
- N. Moore Street, from 19th Street N. to Wilson Boulevard
- Wilson Boulevard, from N. Oak Street to Southbound Route 110
- 17th Street N., from Clarendon Boulevard to N. Lynn Street
- N. Oak Street, from Clarendon Boulevard to 17th Street N.
- Northbound lanes of N. Oak Street, from Wilson Boulevard to 18th Street N.
- N. Nash Street, from Wilson Boulevard to 17th Street N.
- N. Kent Street, from 1691 N. Kent Street to Wilson Boulevard
- Fairfax Drive, from N. Pierce Street to Fort Myer Drive
- N. Meade Street, from Fairfax Drive to N. Marshall Drive
- N. Marshall Drive, from N. Meade Street to Route 110
- Southbound Route 110, from I-66 to Washington Boulevard
- Northbound Route 110, from Route 1 to I-66/Wilson Boulevard
- S. Fern Street, from 12th Street S. to Rotary Road
- S. Eads Street, from 12th Street S. to Rotary Road
- Army Navy Drive, from S. Hayes Street to 12th Street S.
- Washington Boulevard, from Route 27/Northbound I-395 split to George Washington Parkway/Boundary Channel
- I-395 South exit 8B, ramp to Route 110 North
- I-395 North slip ramp into I-395 North HOT lanes
- I-395 South HOT lanes at Route 1
- I-395 North HOT lanes at Seminary Road
- I-395 North Exit 8B to Pentagon/Route 27
- I-395 South Exit 8A to Pentagon South Parking
- Eastbound Washington Boulevard ramp to Eastbound Route 27
From approximately 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m.
- 19th Street N., from N. Lynn Street to Fort Myer Drive
- Fort Myer Drive, from Key Bridge to Westbound Langston Boulevard
- Fort Myer Drive, from 19th Street N. to Langston Boulevard
- N. Moore Street, from 19th Street N. to Langston Boulevard
- Langston Boulevard (Eastbound lanes only), from N. Lynn Street to N. Kirkwood Road
- Spout Run Parkway (Westbound lanes only), from Langston Boulevard to George Washington Parkway
- N. Lorcom Lane, from N. Edgewood Street to Spout Run Parkway
- N. Lynn Street, from 19th Street N. to Key Bridge
- N. Rhodes Street, from Key Boulevard to Eastbound Langston Boulevard
- N. Veitch Street, from 19th Street N. to Eastbound Langston Boulevard
From approximately 6:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
- Westbound 15th Street S., from S. Eads Street to S. Bell Street
- Ramp from Southbound Richmond Highway to 15th Street S.
- Ramp from Northbound Richmond Highway to 15th Street S.
- Southbound Richmond Highway, from Southbound I-395 to the 1200 block of Richmond Highway
From approximately 6:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Fort Myer Drive, from Westbound Langston Boulevard to Eastbound Langston Boulevard
- N. Nash Street, from Westbound Langston Boulevard to Eastbound Langston Boulevard
- Long Bridge Drive, from Boundary Drive to 12th Street S.
- 6th Street S., from Long Bridge Drive to S. Ball Street
- S. Ball Street, from 6th Street S. to 10th Street S.
- 10th Street S., from Long Bridge Drive to S. Ball Street
- 12th Street S., from S. Eads Street to Crystal Drive
- Crystal Drive, from 12th Street S. to 23rd Street S.
- 15th Street S., from S. Bell Street to Crystal Drive
- 18th Street S., from S. Bell Street to Crystal Drive
- 20th Street S., from S. Bell Street to Crystal Drive
- I-395 North Exit 10A to Boundary Channel Drive
- I-395 South Exit 10A to Boundary Channel Drive
- I-395 South Exit 9 to Clark Street
At approximately 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 29, 2022, Southbound Route 110 will be closed from Washington Boulevard to Route 1 and will re-open at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 30, 2022.
The listed re-opening times are approximate and will be dictated by the course cleanup efforts. Other roads not listed above may be closed at law enforcement discretion in the interest of public safety.
Street parking in the area will be restricted and motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs. Illegally parked vehicles in violation of the posted signage may be ticketed and towed, if your vehicle is towed from a public street, call the Emergency Communications Center at 703-558-2222.
Getting Around on Race Day
The Marine Corps Marathon recommends that runners arrive as early as possible prior to start time in order to proceed through the security checkpoint, drop off bags, and line up in the appropriate corral. For additional information about getting to the race start and finish, visit the event website.
Runners, spectators, and volunteers are strongly encouraged to use Metro, ridesharing or other forms of multimodal transportation. The Metro will open at 5:00 a.m. on race day. The closest Metro access to the start of the MCM and MCM 50K are the Pentagon and Pentagon City Stations (Blue and Yellow lines). The closest Metro access to the Finish Festival is the Rosslyn station (Blue, Orange, or Silver lines).
Runners arriving by vehicle are encouraged to make use of Shuttle Services offered by the Marine Corps Marathon or the Kiss and Run drop-off location near the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City.
Designated rideshare drop-off and pick-up zones have been established at the following locations:
Morning events – 1100-1200 block of S. Hayes Street
Afternoon events – 1900 block of N. Lynn Street
Finish Festival – 1900 block of N. Lynn Street
NOTE: E-Scooters and bicycles will not be allowed inside certain restricted areas of the event, riders may be directed by law enforcement to either turn around or park the equipment and walk to their destination.
Motorists should expect significant delays in and around the racecourse. If you are travelling to the event or in the area, allow extra time, seek alternate routes, or utilize public or multimodal transportation options to reduce road congestion.
Safety is Everyone’s Responsibility
Law enforcement throughout the National Capital Region work collectively to keep runners, spectators and volunteers safe on race day, however, safety is everyone’s responsibility. The public is encouraged to be vigilant and attentive, particularly in areas with large crowds of people. Suspicious behavior, items, vehicles and unattended packages should be reported immediately to police for investigation. Spectators and runners may report information directly to police personnel stationed throughout the race route or by calling 703-558-2222 or 911 in an emergency.
Register for Arlington Alert to receive emergency alerts and other important information from Arlington County Government. In the event of a weather-related emergency or unforeseen circumstance, follow police direction.
MCM Kids Run
The MCM Kids Run will take place on Saturday, October 29, 2022 from 8:00 a.m. until noon. The Arlington County Police Department will conduct the following road closure from approximately 6:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. in order to accommodate the event:
- Long Bridge Drive, between 12th Street S. and the Aquatic Center.
- access to the Aquatic Center will be via Boundary Channel Drive.
- access to the entrance of the Public Storage parking lot will be via Boundary Channel Drive.
- access to the residential building on 10th Street S. will be from 12th Street S. -- local traffic only.
The public should expect to see an increased police presence in the area and motorists are encouraged to follow law enforcement direction, be mindful of closures, and remain alert for increased pedestrian traffic.
RELATED: MCM Kids Run Course Map