March Board Meeting Wrap-Up
Published on March 24, 2022
Several actions took place at the Arlington County Board's Saturday, March 19, 2022, regular County Board Meeting, including:
• The Board adopted a resolution to advertise public hearings by the Planning Commission on April 4, 2022, and the County Board on April 23, 2022, to consider adopting the 2022 Clarendon Sector Plan - An Update to the 2006 Clarendon Sector Plan.
• The Board adopted an ordinance to approve a rezoning request from Service Commercial-Community Business District to CP FBC Columbia Pike Form Based Code District. This was for The Elliott, located at 2601 Columbia Pike. In addition, the Board is being asked to approve the subject use permit, in accordance with the Columbia Pike Form Based Code to construct 247 multi-family dwelling units and approximately 51,000 sq. ft. of ground floor commercial space with modifications for finished floor elevation for the ground floor and siting specifications, subject to conditions.
• Accepting and appropriating a $150,398 grant from the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services to manage and improve Arlington’s response to the opioid epidemic. The County plans to fund a Peer Specialist to provide outreach to community members who experience an overdose on opioids or other substances, as well as providing support for a registered nurse and other operational expenses related to the response to the opioid crisis.
• Accepting and appropriating a Virginia Department of Social Services Independent Living COVID-19 Transportation Assistance Program (TAP) funding for the Department of Human Services. The appropriated $38,575 will help eliminate barriers to ensure eligible youth in foster care receive the services and support necessary to meet their transportation needs.
• Adopted a license agreement with Virginia Hospital Center to permit the installation, operation, and maintenance of a Capital Bikeshare Station on hospital property. This bike-sharing partnership promotes the ideals of “car-free” transportation, a healthy lifestyle and environmental stewardship.
On Tuesday, March 22, 2022, the County Board held its Recessed Meeting. Several actions were taken, including the appointment of the 9 inaugural members of the Community Oversight Board (COB). Information about the COB and its members can be found on the Board’s website.
On Wednesday, March 23, 2022, Board Chair Katie Cristol and Member Libby Garvey will discuss the County’s budget process with County Manager Mark Schwartz. Tune into the Board Wrap-Up Podcast through Spotify or Anchor to listen in.
The Board meetings can be viewed in their entirety on the County’s website and YouTube. On Thursday, February 17, 2022, Board Chair Cristol and Board Member Karantonis will record the Board’s new Wrap-Up podcast, where they will discuss the Pentagon City Sector Plan in more detail. Tune in to the podcast on Anchor or Spotify.