County Board April 2017 Agenda Highlights
Published on April 17, 2017
The Arlington County Board will consider dozens of items at its April 2017 meeting, on Sat., April 22, and Tues., April 25.
The meetings, held in the County Board Room on the third floor of 2100 Clarendon Blvd., are open to the public. Visit the County website for information on speaking at a Regular County Board meeting
All County Board meetings are broadcast live on the County's cable channel, ATV, with live captioning, and live-streamed on the County website
. You can watch the Board meetings on Comcast 25 & 74 and Verizon FiOS 39 & 40. Videos of Board meetings are archived on the County website.
Among the April agenda highlights:Saturday, April 22
-- County Board Regular Meeting. View the agenda
and read the staff reports for this meeting.
(Note: This meeting starts at 8:30 am with public comment.)
- FY 2018 Budget Adoption: The Board will adopt the FY 2018 Budget and set the Calendar Year 2017 property tax rate. The Board's action is the culmination of a public budget process that began in November 2016, with the Board's Budget Guidance to the County Manager, and included a series of public work sessions, a public hearing on the Manager's Proposed Budget and the Proposed Tax Rate, online survey and other public outreach. Budget action includes a request to advertise a public hearing on revising Arlington Transit (ART) and Specialized Transit for Arlington Residents (STAR) fares to track with Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) bus fare increases. To read the staff reports on the FY 2018 budget, view the agenda on the County website: Scroll down to agenda Item No. 36. (Note: all budget staff reports will be available only after the budget wrap-up work session on Thurs., April 20).
- Open-Air Market in Rosslyn: The Board will consider a use permit and license agreement for an open-air farmers market at 1800 N. Lynn St., tentatively to be operated Wednesdays from 4 to 8 p.m. This would be the ninth ongoing farmers market in Arlington. To read the staff report for this item, view the agenda. Scroll down to agenda item No 5.
- Ground Lease, Permit for New Elementary School: The Board will consider approving a ground lease and use permit allowing Arlington Public Schools to move ahead with construction of a new elementary school and garage at the Thomas Jefferson Middle School site, 125 S. Old Glebe Road. A completed school would likely open in September 2019. To read the staff report, view the agenda. Scroll down to agenda item No. 35. (Note: this staff report will be available on-line by close of business on Mon., April 17).
- Park Improvements: The Board will consider awarding contracts to upgrade the playground at Oakgrove Park, and for construction including a restroom/picnic pavilion, futsal court and stormwater management facilities at Tyrol Hills Park. The Board also will vote on accepting a partnership grant from the Arlington Sports Foundation, and authorizing other funds, for the conversion of the Gunston Park diamond athletic field to synthetic turf. To read the staff reports, view the agenda. Scroll down to agenda items No. 23 (Oakgrove Park), 24 (Tyrol Hills Park), and 29 (Gunston Park).
Tues., April 25 -- County Board Recessed Meeting. View the agenda
- Capital Projects: The Board will vote on awarding a contract for a new 24-inch diameter water main under North Vacation Lane from Lorcom Lane to North Military Road. The work was identified in the Water System Master Plan of 2014 and would involve coordination with construction at the nearby Stratford School, set for renovations before becoming a neighborhood middle school. The Board also will vote on awarding a contract for safety and mobility improvements at the "Five Points" intersection of Lee Highway, Military Road, Old Dominion Drive and North Quincy Street. The project includes new street lighting, traffic signals, pavement markings, sidewalks, curbs and gutters. To read the staff reports, view the agenda. Scroll down to agenda items No. 19 and 20.
and read the staff reports for this meeting. (Note: some reports will be posted closer to the meeting date).At the 3 p.m. session:
The County Board Chair, members of the County Board and the County Manager will report on local and regional items of interest.
- The Board will honor Arlington's 2017 Notable Tree Winners, a designation given for exceptional maturity (size or age), historical or community interest, uniqueness of species, or special significance to the neighborhood. The program, begun in 1987, has recognized more than 150 trees.
6:30 p.m. session:
- The Board will honor the latest winner of the Bill Thomas Outstanding Park Service Volunteer Award. Thomas was a lifelong parks volunteer. Winners are selected for sharing his passionate dedication and support of Arlington's dynamic parks and recreation programs, natural resources and public open spaces.
The County Board will hold public hearings on any items pulled from Saturday's Consent Agenda. No earlier than 6:45 p.m. the Board will hold a public hearing on:
- A Use Permit Amendment to allow indoor live entertainment and permit furniture for the Westover Beer Garden, 5863 Washington Blvd. To read the staff report, view the agenda. Scroll down to Item No. 38.