March 2016 Arlington County Board Meeting Agenda Highlights
Published on March 05, 2016
Items of interest that the Arlington County Board will consider at its March Board Meeting, on Saturday, March 12 and Tuesday, March 15. Visit the County website
for procedures for speaking at a Board Meeting. County Board Meetings are open to the public and take place in the County Board Room on the third floor of the County Government building at 2100 Clarendon Blvd.Saturday, March 12 Regular Meeting — View the agenda and read the staff reports for this meeting.
(Note: this meeting starts at 8:30 am with public comment.)
• Rosslyn Plaza Phased Development Site Plan: The Board will consider a proposed major redevelopment of Rosslyn Plaza, an approximately 7.65 acre site on the east side of Rosslyn. The project is a joint venture between property owners Vornado/Charles E. Smith and Gould Property Company. The plan calls for redeveloping a superblock into three new blocks with five new buildings and public infrastructure recommended in the Rosslyn Sector Plan, including the Rosslyn Plaza Park. The redevelopment is planned to take place in phases over 25 years. (Item 23
• Paving contracts worth nearly $11.6 million: The Board will consider awarding two contracts for a total of nearly $11.6 million for asphalt paving to repair and maintain streets across the County in Calendar Year 2016. (Item #13)
• $55.20 million in General Obligation Bonds: Staff is seeking the Board's authorization to issue $22.65 million for County projects and $32.5 million for Schools. The new bond issuance is estimated to increase annual debt service for the County and Schools by a total of $5.3 million. In addition, the Board will consider authorizing the refinancing of up to $210 million in bonds to take advantage of low interest rates and save money. (Item #19)
• More parkland: The Board will consider approving the purchase of a house and lot at 2833 N. Harrison Street that abuts popular Chestnut Hills Park, for $820,000. (Item #21)
• State funding for supportive housing: The Board will consider authorizing the Manager to accept $731,813 in funding from the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services funds. Three-quarters of the funds will be used for rent subsidies and client services, the rest will fund a permanent full-time housing specialist and operating expenses. (Item #14)
• Partnership with Virginia Tech: The Board will consider approving a Memorandum of Understanding with Virginia Tech to jointly apply to join the MetroLab Network, part of the White House's Smart Cities Initiative that joins university researchers with local government to research, develop and deploy technologically and analytically-based solutions to improve infrastructure and services. (Item #16)
Tuesday, March 15 Recessed County Board Meeting — View the agenda for this meeting.
At the 3 p.m. session: The County Board Chair, members of the County Board and the County Manager will report on local and regional items of interest.
At the 6:30 p.m. session: The Board will conduct public hearings on any items pulled from the Consent Calendar. In addition, the Board will consider:
• Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) funding application: Staff proposes applying to the NVTC for funding for transportation improvement projects under the Initial Multimodal Program for Transform I-66 Inside the Beltway. Proposed projects include making bus stops along Lee Highway and Washington Blvd more accessible, expanding ART bus and Metrobus service, installing real-time transportation information screens along the Rosslyn-Ballston Metro corridor and developing regional transportation demand management options. (Item #25)
(NOTE: County Board Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast 25 and Verizon 40 and webstreamed on the County webstie.)