Love to travel near and far? Whether it's a trip across the River to see the newest exhibit, or a trip across the Atlantic to see Europe, Arlington County 55+ Travel welcomes you to join us. Bring along a friend, or make a new one, we have a friendly group who always welcome a new traveler. Don't worry; we take care of all the details such as tickets and transportation. We always send along a friendly travel volunteer to ensure that all the pieces fit together and to assist if any problems arise.
Day Trips by Bus
Board the bus at one of several senior locations and enjoy a sociable trip with all the details taken care of! AC 55+ Travel conducts more than a dozen day trips every month. Trips are advertised in the Arlington 55+ Guide. The first step in your journey: register for the Arlington County 55+ Pass. Call 703-228-4744 with any questions (TTY: 711).
Trip Sign Up Procedures
Sign up for trips in person between 10am and noon on the second Monday of each month at Aurora Hills, Culpepper Garden, Lee, Thomas Jefferson, and Walter Reed. Online registrations begin at noon on the second Monday of each month. Telephone registrations start the following day Tuesday at noon; call 703-228-4748 (voicemail).
Online Travel Registration
- The first step is to call 703-228-4744 to receive a login ID and password.
- To register online, go to https://registration.arlingtonva.us and enter your login ID and password.
- A new web page will appear.
- Click on the "55-Plus" menu and then click on "Browser/Registration for 55+ Trips."
- Find the trip you are interested in and click on it. Then click "Enroll Now."
- Select the name of the individual your registering and click "Add to Cart." You will have the option to "Continue Shopping" or "Checkout." Click on one of those choices.
- When you get to "Checkout," you will be able to pay by credit card for your online registration.
Checks or credit cards are the preferred method of payment. However, Arlington County no longer accepts American Express as payment. Please make checks payable to 'Treasurer, Arlington County', with trip date, code number and pick-up location on check memo line, and mail to AC 55+ Travel, 300 N. Park Drive, Arlington, VA 22203. Remember that payments for trip reservations must be received within three working days, or reservations will be cancelled due to non-payment.
Day Trips (see additional details and trips in the 55+ Guide)
- Tues., Oct. 1 – The Cloisters Museum and Gardens, New York City, NY
- Fri., Oct. 4 – Waterford Homes Tour and Crafts Fair, Waterford, VA
- Sat., Oct. 5 – "Million Dollar Quartet" at Kennedy Center, Washington, DC
- Sun., Oct. 6 – Walkersville Southern Railroad Fall Foliage Train Ride, Walkersville, MD
- Mon., Oct. 7 – Lincoln’s Cottage, Washington, DC
- Wed., Oct. 9 – Supreme Court Tour, Washington, DC
- Thurs., Oct. 10 – Pinkadilly Tea Room, Fredericksburg, VA
- Sat., Oct. 12 – Merrifield Post Office Tour/Mosaic Shopping District, Merrifield, VA
- Wed., Oct. 16 – Fredericksburg Historic Homes, Fredericksburg, VA
- Thurs., Oct. 17 – Fonthill Castle/Moravian Pottery Works, Doylestown, PA
- Sat., Oct. 19 – Graves Mountain Apple Harvest Fest, Syria, VA
- Tues., Oct. 22 – Pearl S. Buck House, Perkasie, PA
- Fri., Oct. 25 – Hollywood Casino, Charles Town, WV
- Sat., Oct. 26 – Dutch Country Farmers Market, Laurel, MD
- Tues., Oct. 29 – Weems-Botts Museum, Dumfries, VA
- Thurs., Oct. 31 – Long Branch/State Arboretum/Berryville Grille, Boyce, VA
- Fri., Nov. 1 – Washington Craft Show, Washington, DC
- Sun., Nov. 3 – "Crossing" at Signature Theater, Washington, DC
- Mon., Nov. 4 – Arlington Cemetery Tour, Arlington, VA
- Wed., Nov. 6 – Café Renaissance, Vienna, VA
- Thurs., Nov. 7 – Eastern State Penitentiary/Rodin Museum, Philadelphia, PA
- Sat., Nov. 9 – Jewish Musical Treasures, Arlington, VA
- Wed., Nov. 13 – Miss Minerva’s Tea Room, Culpeper, VA
- Thurs., Nov. 14 – Department of the Interior Murals Tour, Washington, DC
- Fri., Nov. 15 – Hillwood Estate’s Marjorie Merriweather Post Exhibit, Washington, DC
- Sat., Nov. 16 – Dover Downs, Dover, DE
- Tues., Nov. 19 – Leesburg Premium Outlets, Leesburg, VA
- Wed., Nov. 20 – "Tappin Thru Life: An Evening with Maurice Hines", Washington, DC
- Thurs., Nov. 21 – Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, MD
- Fri., Nov. 22 – Heurich House Museum Tour, Washington, DC
- Mon., Nov. 25 – Diplomatic Reception Room Tour, Washington, DC
- Thurs., Nov. 28 – Dutch’s Daughter Thanksgiving Dinner, Frederick, MD
Early Registration has already opened for the following trips, but there may be space available.
- Sept. 20 – Delaware Adventure
- Sept. 21 – Eastern Market
- Sept. 24 – Lavender Fields Farm
- Sept. 26 – The Coach & Horses Tea Room
- Sept. 27 – Surratt House Museum/Dr. Mudd House
- Sept. 28 – Frederick’s Oktoberfest
- Sept. 30 – Holocaust Memorial Museum
Early Registration begins August 26.
- Oct. 1 – Cloister Museum and Gardens
- Oct. 5 – "Million Dollar Quartet" at Kennedy Center
- Oct. 6 – Walkersville Southern Railroad Fall Foliage Train Ride
- Nov. 3 – "Crossing" at Signature Theater
- Nov. 20 – "Tappin Thru Life: An Evening with Maurice Hines"
- Nov. 28 – Dutch’s Daughter Thanksgiving Dinner
Heads Up Travelers!
- No refunds are granted on any trips which require meal reservations, tickets or chartered transportation unless staff is able to sell your reserved space.
- "48 hour prior to trip departure time" notice is required for a refund on all other day trips.
- Bus leaves PROMPTLY from each site at specified time.
- Return times are estimated.
- If you have a problem on the morning of the trip, call 202-630-4320 to reach the travel leader.
- You need a 55+ Pass to travel with us (except for first-time guests).
- Checks or credit cards are the preferred method of payment.
- Returned Check Fee is $50.
Lee-parking and pick-ups are on N. Kentucky St.
Walter Reed-parking is in the back lot; pick-up in front of center.
Thomas Jefferson-parking and pick-ups are by the tennis courts.
When meal choices are advertised, indicate your choice when you register. A dollar sign ($) means lunch is on your own, a plate means the meal is included.