Station 9 was established in 1957 and remains in its original location at 1900 S. Walter Reed Dr. to this day. It was the first 100% career firehouse in Arlington County. The firehouse is situated at the top of the hill on Walter Reed Dr., and thus the firefighters at the station became affectionately (and modestly) known as the "Kings of the Hill.”
Engine 9 was originally a two-piece engine company. In addition to the engine company, Station 9 once housed Truck 3, the Foam Wagon and the Duty Chief.
Station 9 served as the maintenance hub for the ACFD through the 1990's. Originally, all pump repairs, welding and equipment repairs were done there. The station also served as the SCBA shop, and once housed the only air compressor in the county.
Station 9 was completely renovated in 1999-2000. The firehouse is currently home to Engine Company 109, Rescue Company 109, Medic 109 and the South Battalion EMS Supervisor (EMS 111.) In addition to their regular fire and EMS duties, the firefighters at Station 9 and Station 1 serve jointly as the Arlington County Hazardous Materials Response Team.