Budget News and Information
County Board FY 2011 Adopted Budget
In order to preserve core services, ensure fiscal sustainability and retain a highly skilled workforce, the Arlington County Board adopted a $955.9 million budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2010 that includes an 8.3-cent increase in the property tax rate. Board members said they listened to hundreds of residents who asked at budget town hall meetings and public hearings that core services, funding for non-profits and funding for affordable housing be preserved as the County continues to cope with the economic downturn. Some key facts from the adopted budget include:
- The Board raised the base real estate tax rate 8.0 cents, to $0.945 per $100 of assessed value.
- The stormwater tax rate was also increased by 0.3 cents to 1.3 cents per $100 of assessed value, for a blended tax rate of $0.958.
- The personal property tax rate will remain at $5 per $100 of assessed value.
- Combined fee increases for water, sewer, trash, recycling and motor vehicle licensing totaled $71 a year.
- The total impact of tax and fee changes for a household, on average, will be an increase of $346 a year, or $29 per month.
- The Board voted to continue a Budget Stabilization Fund, setting aside $3.3 million for unexpected expenses or revenue shortfalls.
- The Board also identified funding to increase the County’s General Fund Operating Reserve from 3.25% to 3.5% as a continued commitment to maintaining the County’s coveted triple-AAA bond rating.
The total budget, which includes appropriations to the Arlington Public Schools, as well as Utility Fund and other self-supported funds, is $1.2 billion, an increase of 0.4 percent from the FY 2010 revised budget. Below are some key documents related to the FY 2011 budget.
County Board Adopted Budget Documents
County Manager's Proposed Budget
Budget News and Updates
Dig Deeper - Resources and Information on the County Budget
Fiscal Year 2011 Budget Planning
- Lines of Business: Budget and Net Tax Support
- Budget and Revenue Forecast
- Presentation to Arlington County Democratic Committee, by County Board Member Jay Fisette, December 2, 2009
- Presentation to Arlington Civic Federation, December 1, 2009
- FY 2011 Budget Planning Board Report , October 24, 2009
- FY 2011 Budget Planning Presentation, October 24, 2009
- FY 2011 County Board Budget Guidance, October 24, 2009
- FY 2011 Budget Planning Press Release