Human Services

Frequently Asked Questions


Children & School
Q. I am interested in adopting. What are the ages of children available for adoption in Arlington County?
A. Children available for adoption through Arlington County DHS tend to be older (the average age is 9) and they tend to be part of a sibling group. Most of these children came to us because of abuse and neglect and they have emotional and education needs in addition to their need for a permanent home... more Info > >

 Q. I need to get my child immunized for school. Where can I go?
A. The Department of Human Services Public Health Division offers immunization clinics for school age children... More Info > >

 Q. How can I arrange for child support?
A. You can apply for child support at the satellite Child Support Enforcement Office located in the Human Services Center on the 4th floor. The hours for that office are Tuesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. The telephone number is 703-228-1492. The full service office is located at 2900 S. Quincy Street, Suite 320. The customer service telephone number for that office is 866-488-2591.

 Q. How old do children have to be in order to be left home alone?
A. The Child and Family Services Division of DHS has guidelines related to leaving children alone at various ages... More Info > >

Back to Top

Older Adults

Q. What services are available to older adults, adults with a disability  or caregivers?

The  Customer Service Center is  the single  point of entry  for the Aging and Disability Services Division. Its objective is to ensure customers are aware of the variety of long -term care resources available.   Another objective is to provide services and resources to help individuals maintain their highest level of independence and quality of life.   The center provides referrals for the following services:

  • Transportation
  • Medicare counseling
  • Nutritional services
  • Senior Adult Mental health
  • Intellectual Developmental Disability Support Services
  • Nursing Case Management
  • Adult Protective Services
  • Social Work intervention
  • Financial crisis assistance programs
  • Volunteer Services

Through an initial face to face or telephone intake, staff will determine the appropriate service for the customer. Regular business hours are Monday through Friday 8-5 p.m.  To learn more about these resources contact 703-228-1700 or drop by 2100 Washington Blvd 4th Fl. Arlington, VA 22204.

Q. What is the role of the Medicare Counselor under VICAP (VA Insurance Counseling & Assistance Program)?

Certified Medicare Counselors provide free insurance  counseling and advocacy to Medicare beneficiaries in Arlington County and the City of Alexandria. They help consumers understand and exercise their rights under Medicare benefit programs.   They conduct New to Medicare presentations providing education on Medicare options to soon to be eligible or newly eligible Medicare beneficiaries.  They identify and help lower income persons apply for limited low income and Medicare Savings plan assistance programs.  They also empower seniors to prevent healthcare fraud.  To learn more information or to schedule an appointment with a Medicare counselor, please contact 703-228-1700. 

Q. How can I receive Extra Help with my Prescription Drug costs?

If you already have full Medicaid or SSI benefits you should already receive help with your prescription drug costs.  This program helps to cover Medicare premiums or deductibles for Medicare beneficiaries who have limited income and resources.  Individuals who qualify have little or no copayments for their prescription costs.  Medicare Counselors in the Aging & Disability Services Division will provide assistance in determining eligibility.  The Social Security Administration makes the final determination.  Please contact 703-228-1700 and request to speak with a Medicare counselor  to learn more about this program.

Q. What in home services do you have available?

The Aging & Disability Services Division contracts with a local vendor to provide eligible individuals with in home services such as light housekeeping, laundry, personal care and meal preparation.  Criteria for this program include:

  • Must be an  Arlington County resident
  • Must have a physical limitation
  • Must have a limited ability to adequately  perform self care tasks
  •  Inability to safely leave one’s home

Income limits do apply.  For an assessment, please contact the Aging & Disability Services Division Customer Service Center at 703-228-1700.

The Medicaid waiver program is designed to help individuals stay in their homes longer without having to go into a nursing home.  In order to qualify, individuals must meet nursing home level criteria and have full Medicaid.  For more questions or an initial assessment, please contact the Customer Service Center at 703-228-1700.

Q. What options are available for caregivers seeking respite?

The Guide to Retirement Living is a great resource for a list of home health care agencies that provide companion care and geriatric care managers who are licensed and trained to provide support and help families connect with elder care resources.    There is also information on Adult day centers which are state licensed environments with trained healthcare professionals to provide nursing, recreation, nutrition and socialization.  This environment is for individuals who are living alone  with medical, safety and physical risk factors.   Walter Reed Adult Day Health Center is home to Arlington County.  To get more information on the Walter Reed Adult Day Program call 703-228-5340 or email:

Q. Where can I learn more about affordable and accessible housing units?

There are five Independent Senior Residences in Arlington County designed for older adults who have a permanent disability or limited income and resources. They include:

  • Culpepper Garden
  • Hunter’s Park at Cherrydale
  • The Carlin
  • Woodland Hill
  • Claridge House

Four of the five apartment buildings have a service coordinator that helps to link residents with available public and private programs and services. Each of them has their own application process.  Arlington County’s Department of Community Planning, Housing & Development has a complete listing of these communities as well as other affordable apartment units.  The listing can be found at:

The Guide to Retirement Living is also a great resource to locate independent, assisted and nursing home community options in the Northern Virginia region. Their website address is: 

Back to Top

Q. I would like to find a job in the technology field, but don't know how to go about doing it. Can DHS help me?
A. The Arlington Employment Center has resources to assist you in getting employment in a variety of fields... more Info > >

Back to Top

Q. How do I apply for rent assistance?
A. Rental subsidies may be available to eligible elderly, needy, and disabled Arlington residents... more Info > >

 Q. Is there any help available for Arlington homeowners who can't afford to pay their taxes?
A. In 2006, Arlington County began offering homeowner grants to certain households to help offset rising personal property taxes... more Info > >

 Q. I need to fill a prescription, but I can't afford it. Does DHS offer assistance with prescription medications?
A. In some cases, the cost of prescription medications may be subsidized for Arlington County residents... More Info > >

Back to Top

Rats and Rodent Control
Q. Where can I get information to help me eliminate my rat problem?
A. The Environmental Health Bureau provides information on controlling and eliminating rats... More Info > >

Back to Top

Q. How do I obtain or renew a health license for a food service or swimming pool facility?
A. Detailed guidelines for obtaining or renewing health licenses are available from the Environmental Health Bureau... More Info > >

Back to Top

Specialized Resources
Q. I have a family member who is physically disabled. What types of services are available in Arlington?
A. The Arlington County Office for Persons With Physical Disabilities publishes a directory of services (291K PDF format) and other resources available to persons with disabilities... more Info > >

Back to Top

Q. I have furniture (or other items) that I would like to donate to a homeless shelter. How can I do this?
A. The Arlington County Volunteer Office maintains a listing of places that accept donations, and the types of items they accept... More Info > >

 Q. Where do I go for help if I have a personal problem such as alcohol, drugs, or thoughts of suicide?
A. The Division of Behavioral Healthcare offers a range of mental health and substance abuse services. If you would like more information or need help urgently, please call our Emergency Mental Health Services Hotline at 703-228-5160... More Info > >

 Q. Where do I get a copy of a birth certificate or death certificate?
A. Birth certificates can be obtained from the Department of Vital Statistics in Richmond, Va., Death certificates can be obtained at the Department of Human Services Vital Records Office at 2100 Washington Blvd., 4th Floor, Arlington VA 22204... more Info > >

Back to Top

Last Modified: January 31, 2014
2100 Clarendon Blvd. Arlington, VA 22201 Tel: 703-228-3000 TTY: 703-228-4611