Leaf Collection Process
Arlington County collects about 50,000 cubic yards of leaves every year. Long before the first leaf falls, staff analyzes historic data, tree types and density, weather forecasts, state forestry forecasts, and resident feedback to develop the leaf collection schedule. This helps better allocate collection resources and serve neighborhoods when fallen leaves are heaviest.
Biodegradable Bag Collection
Oct. 29, 2012 - Jan. 11, 2013 (Monday - Friday including holidays, except Christmas and New Year's Day)
Leaf bags are collected on the next business day after your regular trash collection day. If your trash is collected Friday, your last leaf bag will be collection Monday, January 7.
How to Prepare for Recycling
- Remove dirt, stones, litter and other debris from leaves
- Place only leaves in biodegradable paper leaf bags (bags will be made into mulch with leaves)
- Close bags by folding top down
- Place bags at the curb, one day after your trash day by 6:30 a.m.
- Do not use plastic bags!
Paper leaf bags are available at most hardware stores including Home Depot and Lowes. Please use any bags left over from the spring yard waste collection. Free bags are also available beginning Oct. 15, 2012 at the following locations (while supplies last):
|Aurora Hills Center, 735 18th St. S. - (703) 228-5715||Lubber Run Center, 300 N. Park Dr, (703) 228-4712|
|Courthouse Plaza Information Desk, 2100 Clarendon Blvd., (703) 228-3000, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.||Madison Center, 3829 N. Stafford St., (703) 228-5310|
|Lee Center, 5722 Lee Hwy., (703) 228-0552||Solid Waste Bureau, 4300 29th St. S., (703) 228-6570, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S. Carlin Springs Rd., (703) 228-6535||Thomas Jefferson Center, 3501 2nd St. S., (703) 228-5920|
Missed or Partial Pickup
Please report a missed or partial pickup by noon of the next business day so that we may collect it or it will be collected on your next regularly scheduled collection day. You pay report it online using our Missed Pickup Form, or call (703) 228-6570.
Nov. 12 - Dec. 21, 2012 (Monday - Saturday including holidays, except Thanksgiving)
There will be two passes for civic association. Don't know which civic association you are in? View the civic association maps >>
- View the Leaf Collection Schedule >>
- Sign-up for Arlington Leaf Schedule listserv email updates >>
- Look for neighborhood signs posted 3-7 days before each pass: First pass in November (bright yellow), second pass in December (orange)
- Call (703) 228-6565 for recorded schedule by civic association, ex. Barcroft
- Watch Comcast Cable 74 or Verizon Channel 40
- Missed a collection? Bag your leaves for the next weekly bag collection or wait for the second vacuum pass.
How to Prepare for Vacuuming
- Rake leaves to curb (residents with contract lawn services should plan to have their leaves raked before scheduled vacuum pickup)
- Please do not block roadways with leaves more than seven (7) days in advance of your scheduled vacuum leaf collection pass as it is un-neighborly, dangerous, blocks traffic and limits street parking, and potentially can cause a fire hazard
- Pile leaves away from storm drains and water meter covers, low wires, and parked cars
- Remove stones, litter, branches or other debris to prevent equipment damage and worker injuries
- Don't place leaves in plastic bags or County trash carts
- Never park your car on leaf piles - it's a fire hazard!
Did you know you can compost leaves? Composted leaves make nutrient-rich mulch for flowerbeds and trees come spring. Follow these tips to start composting leaves >>
Leaf Collection Snapshot
Bag Collection: Oct. 29, 2012 - Jan. 11, 2013
• Collected weekly the next business day after trash day
• Always use paper biodegradable bags, no plastic!
Vacuum Collection: Nov. 12 - Dec. 21, 2012
• Two passes for each civic association
• Neighborhood signs posted 3-7 days before each pass
• View the Leaf Collection Schedule >>
• Sign-up for Arlington Leaf Schedule listserv email updates >>
Christmas Tree Collection: Jan. 7-18, 2013
• Christmas Tree Collection Information >>