Traffic Alert: VDOT will perform several long-term closures/detours following the January 26 demolition of the Courthouse Road bridge for eastbound Arlington Boulevard to northbound Courthouse Road and southbound Courthouse Road to eastbound Arlington Boulevard. View VDOT Traffic Alert >>
As of January 29, 2013, VDOT has closed the ramp from 10th Street onto westbound Arlington Boulevard. Please follow the signed detour route (PDF) down Washington Boulevard to N. Pershing Drive in order to access westbound Arlington Boulevard. This detour is scheduled to continue through June 1, 2013.
In October 2012, VDOT closed the westbound Arlington Boulevard exit onto 10th Street. Please follow the signed detour route (PDF) from westbound Arlington Boulevard to N. Pershing Drive and Washington Boulevard to access 10th Street. This detour is scheduled to continue through June 1, 2013.
VDOT will be performing the following lane closures on Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 between N. Rhodes Street and 10th Street:
Monday, May 20 - Thursday, May 23, 6:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. (WB), 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (EB)
Friday, May 24, 6:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. (WB), 9 a.m. - 12:p.m. (EB)
Sign up for listserv email updates below.
More than 14 years ago, at Arlington’s initiative, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) joined with Arlington to study alternative configurations for the highway interchange at Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50, Courthouse Road, and 10th Street. Courthouse Road and 10th Street are very closely-spaced, and there are currently several awkward movements, as well as inadequate deceleration and acceleration areas, and access points. There are also some difficult crossing points for the existing bicycle and pedestrian trail within the project area.
This is a VDOT project to reconstruct the interchange and access roads to improve safety and accessibility for motorist while also improving pedestrian and bicycle facilities in the area. Traffic traveling south on N. Courthouse Road exiting east will incur the following:
- A new travel design pattern to exit east on to Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50. This design is a result of the state study of the existing design and determination that a new design is needed.
- Eastbound motorists will continue to bear left to reach Courthouse Road, and once they enter the eastbound service road they can turn left at the first traffic signal to reach 10th Street, or at the second traffic signal to reach Courthouse Road.
- Westbound motorists exiting at Courthouse Road or 10th Street will bear right to enter the westbound service road.
- A new trail along the south side of Arlington Boulevard between Pershing Drive and Rolfe Street, and the existing north side trail will be improved and pass under the new 10th Street bridge.
- Motorists traveling south on Courthouse Road will bear right to travel west, and bear left to travel east, as one would expect.
- Redesign of Fairfax Drive.
- The VDOT Traffic Management Plan will be shared with the community and neighborhoods that are affected by the Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50, Courthouse Road, and 10th Street interchange upgrade.
- Incorporation of artist design treatments to concrete walls and bridges. View artist update (PDF) and renderings (below) for more details on the public art component of this project.
Several long-term signed detours will occur over the course of this project:
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Detour A - Closure of Bike Trail between N. Rolfe Street and 10th Street
Winter 2011/12 - Fall 2013
Bicycle/Pedestrian Detour A Map (PDF) >>
- Detour 1 - Closure of ramp from westbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 onto Courthouse Road
Summer 2012 - Fall 2012
Detour 1 Map (PDF) >>
- Detour 2 - Closure of N. Fairfax Drive between N. Scott Street and N. Troy Street
Spring 2012 - Fall 2013 (Note: N. Fairfax Drive at Courthouse Road will be permanently closed beginning Spring 2012)
Detour 2 Map (PDF) >>
- Detour 3 - Closure of bridge from southbound 10th Street to eastbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50
Spring 2012 - Spring 2014 (Note: N. Fairfax Drive between Courthouse Road and 10th Street will also be closed)
Detour 3 Map (PDF) >>
- Detour 4 - Closure of bridge from eastbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 to northbound Courthouse Road
Winter 2013 - Spring 2014
Detour 4 Map >>
- Detour 5 - Closure of bridge from southbound Courthouse Road to eastbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50
Winter 2013 - Spring 2014
Detour 5 Map >>
- Detour 6 - Closure of ramp from westbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 onto 10th Street
Fall 2012 - June 1, 2013
Detour 6 Map (PDF) >>
- Detour 7 - Closure of ramp from 10th Street onto westbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50
Winter 2012/2013 - June 1, 2013
Detour 7 Map (PDF) >>
- Temporary 36-hour Detour - Closure of westbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 at Courthouse Road bridge
January 26, 2013 (8 a.m.) - January 27, 2013 (8 p.m.)
View VDOT Traffic Alert >>
- Temporary 36-hour Detour - Closure of westbound Arlington Boulevard/Rt. 50 at 10th Street bridge
March 24, 2012 (8 a.m.) - March 25, 2012 (8 p.m.)
View VDOT Traffic Alert >>
The current VDOT construction schedule is as follows:
- Completion of Utility Relocation (Phase I) - Fall 2010
- Completion of Utility Relocation (Phase II) - Spring 2011
- Project Advertisement - September 2010
- Construction Start - Spring 2011
- Complete Construction - mid-2014
Westbound Arlington Boulevard at Courthouse Road (looking west).
Westbound Arlington Boulevard at Courthouse Road (looking southwest).
Westbound Arlington Boulevard at night (looking northeast).
For more information, please contact Kelly Cornell at (703) 228-0088.