Fire Flow Test Policy
- EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008, A $300 fee is charged by the County to perform a fire flow test. This fee is charged to meet costs incurred by the County in performing the test.
- If recent (less than one year old) fire flow test information is available in the County's files in the vicinity of the desired test location, the information will be provided to the applicant at no charge.
- If it is determined that a new fire flow test is needed, a written request and an appropriate fee must accompany the fire flow test request from the applicant prior to the commencement of the test.
Fire Hydrant Permit Policy
From the Arlington County Code, Chapter 8.1, Fire Prevention Code (Updated 9-2011):
8.1-11. Penalty and continuing violation.
(a) Any person, owner, firm, entity, or corporation who violates any section of this Ordinance...shall...be guilty of a violation of this Ordinance and shall, upon conviction, be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor...including by imprisonment for not more than twelve (12) months and/or a fine of not more than $2500.00. Each day that a violation continues after service of notice...shall be deemed a separate offense.
901.8. Removal of or tampering with equipment. Add the following 901.82.
901.8.2. Fire hydrants, fire department connections and water mains. It shall be unlawful for any person to open, use, tamper with, damage or destroy any fire hydrant, valve, fire department connection or water main within the County limits, except that fire departments may use such hydrants for fire fighting or training purposes. Such hydrants may be used by a person who has obtained a permit for such use from the public authority or utility having jurisdiction over the fire hydrant or water lines.
- Fire Hydrant Permits are issued by the Department of Environmental Services on a limited basis. Call (703) 228-3678 to set up an appointment.
- Fire Hydrant Permits will only be considered for work related to approved Demolition, Building, Right-Of-Way, and VDOT permits, or appropriate tasks connected with current Arlington County contracts.
- Fire Hydrant Permits will NOT be issued to fill pools, for car washes, to irrigate landscaping on private and non-County maintained property, when an existing metered water source is available, or if vehicular/pedestrian traffic obstructions will be created.
- The basic fee is $300.00 for three (3) months or any portion thereof. In cases where a hydrant meter may be required due to expected high usage and/or discharges to the sanitary sewer system, the current water and sewer billing rates would apply.
- The applicant shall supply and install an ASSE-1013 approved, reduced-pressure, backflow prevention (high hazard) device per the Arlington County Plumbing Code.
- The contractor is responsible for dechlorinating all water – regardless of the concentration. All superchlorinated water requires a dechlorination plan that shall be approved by Arlington County on a case-by-case basis.
- Any remaining time on a Fire Hydrant Permit shall be voided when the applicable job has been completed or if any associated work permits/licenses/documents expire or become invalidated.
For more information or to obtain a Fire Hydrant Permit, please contact (703) 228-3678.