Newsroom

 

Arlington County, Virginia News

For Immediate Release

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Contact:Mary Curtius 703-228-7943 (voice) 703-228-4611(TTY)

Arlington County Board Approves New Army-Navy Clubhouse

  • Zoning change will allow clubhouse with views of Washington, D.C. monuments
  • Building will be LEED Silver certified
  • Club  to provide emergency access, bicycling, walking right-of-way

ARLINGTON, VA – The Arlington County Board today approved a zoning change and use permit amendment that will allow the Army-Navy Club to replace its 1920s-era clubhouse with a four-story “green” building.

“The Army Navy Club, one of the largest open spaces in the County, has been an integral part of Arlington for more than 80 years,“ said Board Chairman Jay Fisette. “The Board’s action today helps ensure that the club will continue to be a part of Arlington for decades to come, and that for the first time, pedestrians, bicyclists and emergency vehicles will have access through the property.”

The new building, (pictured here in a rendering), will achieve Silver certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program of the U.S. Green Building Council. The club agreed to dedicate a 30-foot-wide right-of-way for construction of an Emergency Access Facility that will provide pedestrian and bicycle access from the Arlington View neighborhood through to Army Navy Drive.

Taller clubhouse will have no impact on neighbors

The new clubhouse, offering views of the Washington, D.C. monuments will be 55-feet tall, replacing one that is 35 feet tall. Several existing tennis courts will be relocated. Because the clubhouse will be set back about 400 feet from the property line, there will be no impact on surrounding neighborhoods.

Only the topmost roof line and cupolas would be visible from the closest residential neighbors in the Fairway Village townhouses. The remainder of the building will be shielded from view by heavy vegetation and tall trees along the club’s property line.

Background

The club, on 254 acres, has entrances located off 18th Street South and Army Navy Drive. Built in the 1920s, it served as a Knights of Columbus Hall before the Army Navy Country Club bought it in 1924. The club includes a 27-hole golf course, swimming pool and tennis courts. The original building, added on to many times, was found to have no historical significance and meets neither the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act nor the club’s needs.

The Board voted 4-1 for approval of the zoning change and use permit amendment.

Arlington, Va., is a world-class residential, business and tourist location that was originally part of the "10 miles square" parcel of land surveyed in 1791 to be the Nation's Capital. It is the geographically smallest self-governing county in the United States, occupying slightly less than 26 square miles. Arlington maintains a rich variety of stable neighborhoods, quality schools and enlightened land use, and received the Environmental Protection Agency's highest award for "Smart Growth" in 2002. Home to some of the most influential organizations in the world - including the Pentagon - Arlington stands out as one of America's preeminent places to live, visit and do business.


Last Modified: June 15, 2010
2100 Clarendon Blvd. Arlington, VA 22201 Tel: 703-228-3000 TTY: 703-228-4611