Address: 1101-1109 North Highland Street
RPC #: 18013010 - View Map
Current Zoning: C-O
Current Development Pressure: None
Historic Designations: None
The Old Dominion Building, also known as the Leadership Building, was constructed in 1940-1941 by builders Muhleman and Kayhoe. The high-rise office building, one of the first and highest in Clarendon, provided five individual commercial spaces on the first story, each with its own entry. The upper floors, entered through a central double-leaf door, served as office space; the 1959 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps show the upper floors of the building were occupied by the U.S. Federal Government. The Old Dominion Building is one of the best examples of the Art Deco style in Clarendon and greater Arlington County.
The imposing five-story building is clad with polished granite tiles that are contrasted by rows of metal double-hung windows. The retail portion of the building is divided into four separate shops, each with a recessed entry. Indicative of the Art Deco style, the entries are framed with elongated plate glass windows that curve towards the doors, thus drawing pedestrians into the shops. Narrow metal casings and undersized awnings surround the show windows. The building is five bays wide along North Highland Street, wrapping with a curve to include three bays on 11th Street North. Entry to the office space on the upper floors is located in the northern end bay, which is visually distinguished by the slightly higher roofline and stepped cladding.