1750 South Hayes Street
Arlington, VA 22202
View a detailed map.
Read a fact sheet on the new station.
Watch a short video on the station commemoration activities.
E-mail Station Commander, Captain II Patterson
On December 17, 1926, the County Board of Alexandria County (as Arlington was then known) approved the charter of the newly formed Jefferson District Volunteer Fire Department, listing seven firefighters on its role and operating from a member’s garage located at 206 Frazier Avenue (now 23rd Street South), Aurora Hills, VA. The Volunteer Fire Department, over the next two years, constructed their first station at 101 Frazier Avenue, opening in 1928.
With the name change of the County (to Arlington) and adoption of a new street naming scheme, the original station was re-addressed 501 23rd Street, South, Arlington, VA. With the organization of the Arlington County Firemen’s Association, the Jefferson District Volunteer Fire Department became Arlington Company 5, joining Arlington (Co. 1); Ballston (Co. 2); Cherrydale (Co. 3) and Clarendon (Co. 4).
During the early years, the members operated a Hose Wagon (Engine), the County’s only Rescue Squad and later an ambulance. Career firefighters began augmenting the Volunteer Fire Department with the creation of the Arlington County Fire Department (ACFD) in 1940 and as time went on, the ACFD took over staffing responsibilities for the Engine Company and ambulance.
The original station was replaced as part of the Aurora Hills complex in 1978 and the crews moved to 1750 South Hayes Street, directly adjacent to the new station. The monument stone from the original 1928 station has been refurbished by Station 5 personnel and is installed near the flagpole of the new station.