- What is iPark?
- iPark is a prepaid parking meter device. Think of it as your own personal parking meter. It can be used at any Arlington meter, and eliminates the need for coins.
- How does it work?
- Turn the device on, use the arrow buttons to scroll to the type of meter at which you are parked, and press the * button to activate the device. It will count down from the maximum allowable time at the meter. When you return to your car, turn the device off. The iPark will display how long you were parked, exactly how much money you spent, and how much is left on your device.
- How much does it cost?
- There is an initial, nonrefundable fee of $20 to purchase the device. Customers must also pay for parking time. New iParks come preloaded with $25, $50 or $100 in parking time. Customers can reload their iPark in the same increments. There is a nominal fee charged for each reload, in addition to the cost of the parking time. The purchase and reload fees are charged to us by the manufacturer.
- How do I know my meter type?
- Arlington's meters are color-coded. The iPark lets you select the correct color. For each meter type, the iPark will display the color, the maximum time limit, and the cost per hour. This is all summarized on the back of the device, as follows:
Arlington's parking meters by color, zone, and time limit
|Meter Color||iPark Card Zone||Time Limit|
- Why are there two green meter types?
- A green meter may be a ten or twelve-hour meter. However, there really are no twelve-hour meters, because the meters only operate from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- What if I'm parked at one of those new, multi-space meters?
- There are signs noting the time limit. Just select the iPark meter color that matches the time limit.
- What happens if I overstay the time limit at a meter?
- The device will continually flash "EXPIRED," and you will be in jeopardy of a ticket!
- What happens if the iPark runs out of money while activated?
- The device will flash "insufficient funds" a message, and you will be in jeopardy of a ticket!
- What happens if I set my iPark to the wrong meter type?
- You will be in jeopardy of a ticket!
- How will I know when I'm running low on money?
- Your iPark will show you its current balance when you turn it on, and again when you turn it off after activation. Also, it will give you a warning if its balance is below the maximum time limit for the meter type you have selected.
- What happens at 6:00 PM when you no longer have to pay for metered parking?
- Your iPark will stop counting down at 6:00 PM.
- What if I pull into a metered space at 7:45 AM?
- Go ahead and turn on your iPark, select the meter type, and press the * button to activate it. The iPark will run, but will not start to charge you until 8:00.
- If my iPark is low on money, how do I reload it?
- Call the Treasurer's Office at 703-228-3082. You'll tell us your serial number, the amount you would like to add to the card, and your credit card number. We'll give you a code to enter into the device to add value to it. You can also stop by the Treasurer's Office and reload it in person. You do not have to wait until your iPark is completely out of money.
- If I forget to turn off my iPark, can I get a refund for the meter money I wasted?
- No, but your iPark will stop charging you when it reaches the time limit for the meter type for which it was set - or 6:00 PM, whichever occurs first.
- If my iPark is lost or stolen, can I get my money back?
- No, we cannot issue a refund or credit for a lost or stolen iPark. Please treat your iPark like cash!
- May I trade in my ParkSmart card for an iPark?
- Yes. We will credit you for the parking time remaining. We will also credit you for the $2.00 trade-in you would get if you were purchasing another ParkSmart card. You may also trade in a Parkulator. We'll credit your $20 deposit towards the iPark purchase price, and if your Parkulator is still functioning we'll credit you for the remaining parking time.
- What benefits does an iPark offer someone with disabilities?
- Parking meters can be difficult for someone with a disability to use. iPark may make this easier.
- How can I purchase an iPark?
- You can purchase an iPark at the Treasurer's Office, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Window 215, or by calling us at 703-228-3082. In the near future, we also plan to sell them at Arlington Commuter Stores.
- What does the future hold for iPark?
- An iPark device can accommodate up to thirty-six meter zones. That means that multiple jurisdictions could be programmed into the same device. We'd like to see iPark adopted throughout the Washington, DC metro area. When other jurisdictions join the program, the Treasurer's Office will offer to replace existing iParks with new, multi-jurisdiction devices.