Cherrydale is located in the heart of North Arlington, bordered generally on the east and south by I-66, on the north by Lorcom Lane and Old Dominion Drive, and on the west by North Utah Street and the H.B. Woodlawn School property.1 Although there are a few multi-family houses, four townhouse developments, one senior apartment building, and two large condo/apartment buildings, the community contains primarily single-family homes.
Cherrydale is a neighborhood of predominantly small, neatly kept, older single family homes. With its quiet streets and huge old trees, many parts of the area still retain a small town feeling, despite the fact that it is only three and one half miles from Washington, D.C. The hometown feeling, the pride residents have in the community and its heritage, and the recent widespread efforts to rehabilitate and save many of our fine old homes, indicate a renewed interest in the community and its history.
Prior to European settlement, the North Arlington area was home to Indians of the Algonquin tribe. Although Indians must have passed through Cherrydale, most of their settlements would have been along the Potomac River. Recorded history begins with the first land grants, or "patents," which were issued in the early 1700's. The first known settler, Andrew Donaldson, began farming in the area in the 1780's.
The Cherrydale Historic District in Arlington County, Virginia, is a significant residential suburb of Washington, D.C., dating from the first half of the 20th century. Located at the intersection of Military Road and Lee Highway, Cherrydale began to develop in the late 19th century from a rural agricultural crossroads into a residential community with a commercial corridor. The relocation of the Alexandria County Courthouse to Arlington in 1898 and the establishment of a commuter railroad in 1906 initiated a period of rapid residential and commercial development in the Cherrydale area that began with the subdivision of a portion of the Schutt property around the turn of the 20th century for family members. For the next fifty years, large tracts of land in Cherrydale both north and south of Lee Highway were subdivided into a series of residential developments of varying sizes. The earliest and most substantial of these were Dominion Heights, West Cherrydale, and Cherrydale, dedicated in 1905, 1907, and 1912, respectively. Conceived independently, the various residential subdivisions that make up Cherrydale today began to be associated as one neighborhood in the mid-20th century, largely due to the pattern of development of key transportation routes in the area, namely Lorcom Lane, Interstate 66, Military Road, Lee Highway, and North Utah Street. Architecturally, Cherrydale features both single-family and multiple-family freestanding and attached dwellings representing the fashionable residential building forms and styles of the late 19th and first half of the 20th centuries. The Cherrydale commercial corridor, generally confined to Lee Highway, is representative of commercial building forms and styles of the 20th century and documents the impact of the various transportation modes on the neighborhood since the construction of the first commercial resource in 1869. Cherrydale was designated as a National Register Historic District in 2003.