Data & Maps

Code Enforcement

  1. Does Arlington County allow junk cars to be stored openly in residential districts?
    • NO. Inoperative or junk vehicles may only be stored inside of a fully enclosed building.
  2. Can old furniture, appliances, tires or building materials be stored on private property?
    • These types of items may be stored on private property if they are inside an enclosed building. To discard these and other miscellaneous items, contact the Department of Environmental Services (703 228 6570) to get details to arrange for a special trash collection. Not all items may be collected by the County and some may have a fee for collection.
  1. Does Arlington County allow sidewalks and roadways to be obstructed with low branches, shrubs and other foliage from private property?
    • NO. Any type of foliage on private property should be kept within the property line and sidewalks and roadways should be kept free of foliage from the ground surface and upward 10 (ten) feet.
  1. What time can construction work begin?
    • Construction activities can begin at any time; however, there are noise limits by time of day for construction. The normal noise decibel level can be exceeded from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekends and legal holidays. This would include the use of power equipment and other activities.
  1. How tall can my grass be?
    • Arlington County ordinance states that grass/weeds can be no taller than twelve (12) inches in height in the front, sides and rear of the property.
  1. What happens if I do not comply?
    • Code Enforcement Officers in Arlington County have the authority to summons a owner(s) to General District Court, write citations or have the property cleaned by an outside contractor. Fines in court can be as high as \o,500.00. Additional cost will be assessed depending on the nature of the violation.
  1. Where can I find the County’s Codes and Ordinances?
    • The Arlington County Codes and Ordinances can be located at www.arlingtonva.us. This website allows you to perform a search and review all the local ordinances and codes.
  2.  What do I do if I’ve received a notice of violation from Code Enforcement?
    • If you have any questions about what is required of you to achieve compliance with Arlington County’s Code, please contact the Inspector assigned to your case. The inspector’s name is listed at the bottom of the notice you received. You can also call our main number at (703) 228-3232 and ask to speak to the Code Enforcement Inspector for your area.

Last Modified: July 10, 2012
2100 Clarendon Blvd. Arlington, VA 22201 Tel: 703-228-3000 TTY: 703-228-4611